Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Week Past and the Week to Come

Workwise, this past week was pretty brutal.  I woke up Monday feeling like crap, but went to work anyway.  Around lunchtime I realized I was in trouble and wrapped it up quickly and headed home.  I spent all of Monday night and Tuesday either sleeping or complaining to Kate and Ed about my febrile malaise. Wednesday I decided I was better and went back to work.  But I wasn't really better, so I had a little relapse.  I didn't take another day off work, but what could have been a two day illness is still lingering.

This next week promises to be an interesting one.  Hannah will be working and for the first time I'll be taking care of Elliot at home.  I've never spent nine uninterrupted hours alone with Elliot --- I'll let you know how it goes.

Another shout-out to Hannah's parents, who did an absolutely fabulous job during the 10 days they served as our live-in babysitters.  They blazed the trail I am about to tread, and laid down such useful rest stops as Water Play.  Apparently Elliot is quite amused by the fact that water pours from a metal tube in the kitchen.  If you sit him on the edge of the sink he will happily watch the water, and enjoys having it splashed on him.

He seems to have a lost a teeny bit of weight since Hannah has gone back to work.  This is from his extreme stubbornness when it comes to bottle feeding.  Hannah will be gone for nine hours and he is pretty much willing to fast for that time period rather than drink for a bottle.  The little he does take from the bottle seems to be more for sport than nutrition --- he drinks in the morning when he's feeling curious and open-minded.  In the evening when he's really hungry, he will not deign to allow plastic between his lips.  He knows that Hannah will be home soon so he just hunkers down and waits.

As a result, he's gone from super-pudgy to just regular pudgy.  All those weeks of his off the charts weight gain is starting look like good planning-- a bear laying on the blubber in anticipation of a winter fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment