A weird thing happened over Christmas. Hannah went out to Michigan before me, and for two days was there alone with Elliot. And during that time he slept through the night without waking up once.
On the same night I arrived in Michigan, Elliot woke up and cried and had to be comforted back to sleep. I was there for four nights, and each night he woke up and cried.
We explained it to ourselves thusly: when he arrived in the new place, he was duly freaked out and withdrew. The routine had changed, and he didn't think he could get parental comfort in the wee hours, so he didn't try. But eventually he realized that the rules were the same, so he started asking for us again.
But here's the weird part: I left Michigan before Hannah, so Elliot again had a few days there alone with her. On the same day I left Michigan, he slept through the night without waking up. And the same happened for three nights in a row before they came back to New York?
So the question is: what is it about my presence that makes Elliot cry?
Hannah has found all kinds of nice ways of answering that question. Like: He's just so excited to have you around that he can't sleep.
Isn't she sweet?
The data is also confounded by the fact that he's been sick lately. Just after New Years he was vomiting, and now he's just got a nasty cough. Either way, he hasn't been sleeping through the night, but I'm not sure it has to do with my presence or absence. When he returns to full health, we will find out just how much of a jinx I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment