Monday, May 28, 2012

Orlando SGIM conference

A few weeks ago I went to the annual meeting of the Society for General Internal Medicine.  It's a great conference, good solid medicine and some left-leaning politics (all of it fully evidence-based, of course).  I gave a presentation on Thursday, and then Friday Hannah and Elliot came down for a few days of beach and pool vacation.  

We stayed at the Walt Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort.  It was such a weird place.  Two hotels, one with giant 40-foot swans on top, the other with dolphins.  The two hotels stared at each other across a big moat, which was used to transport resort guests to Disney World or Epcot or wherever else they wanted to go (as long as it was within the Disneytotalpleasurekingdom, of course).

Elliot's too young for all that stuff, but they did try to get their Disneyhooks in him (this was at breakfast, by the way):



Later we walked down the boardwalk.  We got kicked off here:


Elliot learned how to do this:

I developed ennui:


Here's an example of that weird hotel architecture I'm talking about.  Our hotel was called The Dolphin.  Does that look like a dolphin?


If Elliot were a singer-songwriter, this would be the cover of his self-titled debut album:


Hannah looks glamorous even when it's the last thing on her mind:


Yes, that is a waterfall of cascading scalloped shells, each larger than the previous:



No comments:

Post a Comment