Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Unbrat

Elliot has recently become fascinated with the colander hanging from the pot rack in our kitchen.  He can see his reflection in it, except with little holes.  I agree with him that this is awesome: we stand in front of the colander together, and he stares contently for five or ten minutes without interruption.  His face is a mix of curiosity, intrigue, and generalized bliss.  




I would assume that when I pull him away from the colander, his face will register at least a momentary flash of disappointment.  Not the case.  He just turns his head, looking at the next thing, the newest thing.  He's not comparing one experience to the other, he's not considering his current level of amusement in relation to a previous quantity of entertainment.  He's just living.  

I guess this is connected to object permanence:  you can’t get upset about someone taking an object away from you when you don’t think the object still exists. But whatever the reason, it's a really nice aspect of his personality.  There's no whining when something fun is taken away.  He has absolutely no sense of entitlement.  And I'm sure that's not going to last forever. 

1 comment:

  1. Very cute photo.

    And I'm sure you're going to entitle the bejesus out of him.

    ReplyDelete