When Elliot first learned the phrase "Thank You" he associated it with the giving and taking of objects: sharing. Logical enough. Someone gives, you say thank you.
But the precise relationship between "thank you" and the sharing of objects was never quite nailed down. So Elliot started using the phrase as a way of alerting us that he wanted to share with us. In other words, it was a way of saying "Here, you take this."
Hence, car rides with a chirpy "Thank You!" emerging from the backseat, and us looking around to find him handing us a toy.
And then a funny thing happened. Instead of "thank you" he started saying "you're welcome".
So yesterday we're cleaning up the living room and I hear "you're welcome, Daddy" and I turn around and he's handing me a crumpled up paper towel.
I'm sure we will repeat this ad nauseum with books, napkins, bananas, bottles, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment