Monday, July 16, 2012

Updates: "MINE!" and bicycling

Elliot is saying "mine" all the time nowadays.  Except it comes out more like "MINE!" 

Hannah and I have been disagreeing on whether he fully understands the concept.  He seems to misuse the word often.  For example, we were all three in bed today, and he spied my bike helmet (which he loves to play with --- there's a nubbin on it that he pokes over and over while saying "button").

He pointed at the helmet, looked at me, and said "MINE!"

Hannah claims that he just likes to put his stamp of possession on everything.  Anything he likes he shouts mine at, as a way of establishing his right to touch it and play with it.

But Elliot doesn't have a way of saying "I want."  He probably knows what "I want" means, but he never says it to us.  So it seems to me that looking at something and shouting "MINE!" is his version of "I want".

(This is not such a massive disagreement, now that I think about it.)

What else?  We've finally started letting him watch the occasional smidge of TV.  He watches Blues Clues, we let him see one a day.  It's the one thing that can actually get him to sit quietly on the couch for ten uninterrupted minutes.

I rode him to and from daycare on my bike every day last week.  Yeah, it was pretty awesome.  He pointed at all the doggies, and leaned back to look up, through the leaves, to the sky, and smiled at me from below.


He whined a little every time we hit a big bump.  At first I thought he was just scared, but then I realized a few things: 1) there's no padding on his plastic seat. 2) he has no warning for when the bumps are about to hit. 3) even if he did get a warning, he can't stand up on the pedals like I do to absorb the shock.  So yeah, bumps suck for him.





No comments:

Post a Comment