I’ve been making up songs for Elliot. I’ve discovered that it’s easy to get a line to rhyme if you don’t care that it’s completely nonsensical. Here’s an example of one of the kiddie songs, sung to the tune of a Dan Zanes hit:
Who’s the boy we love to love
The one who fits us like a glove
Elliot! Elliot!
Who’s the master of his fate
Who came to us upon a plate?
Elliot! Elliot!
When Hannah is out of the house or in the shower, I croon some of my R&B faves. These are sung in the style of Bill Withers or Al Green. The lyrics leave my mouth so soon after they enter my head that I actually can’t reproduce any of them. But I'll make one up for you now:
When I was born, on the old bayou
I saw a little baby, he was so so cute
And I knew right then, sure as could be
That he was the one, the one for me
Sometimes he cries, yeah real real loud
He’s got something to say, and he is proud
But he never talks, so we don’t know what it is
And while he’s waiting, he just takes a whiz
I swear I just made that geniusness up on the spot. It seems impossible, I know. You'll have to take my word for it.
These songs can be musical rorschach tests. Often something revealing about your own mind spills out when you're blurting out song lyrics. I won't go into any more detail.
No comments:
Post a Comment