Elliot slept through the night last night. Which was a joy. He's had kind of a wet cough for the past few weeks, and it has been keeping him up.
And when he stays up, we stay up. So it's been great to have him sleeping a little better.
One weird effect of Elliot waking up frequently at night is paranoia. It's a kind of post-traumatic stress disorder, actually. Once you've been woken by a baby's cries a few times, you go into a kind of fugue state.
It's not just that I'm always worried he's going to start crying.
I actually hear him cry.
I'll be half-asleep, head stuffed under pillow, and I'll swear that I hear him. I can actually hear it in my ears. The exact pitch and timbre. The way it rises and peaks and falls, everything.
I whip the pillow off my head. Silence. It's 3:30am. My heart is full of adrenaline. Elliot is not crying. Everyone is asleep. Except me.
But now, heart pounding, I'm going to be awake for the next hour at least....
No comments:
Post a Comment