Elliot has made me appreciate how much passes me by.
A few nights ago we were having dinner, and Elliot suddenly turned to look at me. He was excited, mouth wide open with a breathy nnnnngh coming out (see photo below)
I was perplexed. What was so exciting?
And then I heard the police siren. It was going right past our house. And I had simply ignored it, as many of us city-dwellers do. But not Elliot.
The same thing happens with planes going overhead. As far as Elliot is concerned, the sound of an airplane is a reason to stop dead in your tracks and search the sky. I find myself standing on the sidewalk, looking back at him, saying "What are you doing? Why are you staring at the sky?"
I've learned that when Elliot does something odd or out of character, and I don't know why, the first thing I should do is listen.
No comments:
Post a Comment