Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Crib

Up until now, Elliot has been sleeping between us in bed.  (And no, we never rolled over and crushed him.  But I'll pause a moment to let those who want to get judgey catch up.)

We realize that eventually he will have to learn to sleep in his own bed, and they say that the younger he does this, the easier it goes.  So we're trying to make the switch.

I was planning on writing something about this process being harder than removing my own appendix.  But the stubborn facts have prevented me from exercising that rhetorical flourish.

Monday night he went into the crib at about 10pm.  At first he cried a lot, but once he got used to it he stayed there until 1:30am.  After a quick feeding he slept from 2am to 5am, and a little more liquid comfort got him from 5 to 6:30.  That may not seem so impressive, but I was expecting a far more sleepless night.

Last night was even better.  Again I put him in the crib around 10pm, and he slept straight through until 4am.  The only problem was that when he woke up he thought it was time to start the day.  He rolled and gabbled and kicked my shushing hands away.  It was 5am before he fell back asleep for another hour.   (I just stayed up and wrote.)

Lest you think me too saintly, keep in mind I'm not working this week.  Plenty of nap time for me during the sunny afternoons in Prospect Park....

1 comment:

  1. This is really great news! including the part about napping in Prospect Park (remember to take your newspaper blanket and a cup for donated change)and the neologism "gabbled"... nicely alliterative.

    ReplyDelete